Hello all, and happy Friday! Now that it is officially the weekend, what better way to relax and celebrate than with baking up a batch of the most delicious sugar cookies? These are perfect for cutout cookies, the dough is firm and not at all sticky; a word of caution though- if mixing by hand, get ready for a workout! =) the dough is very “dry” and thick, much like a shortbread dough. Last time I made these cookies for Christmas, I burnt out my little $10 handmixer. This time I’m planning to mix all the wet ingredients, then some flour, but as soon as the handmixer starts whining- I’ll finish by hand. Here’s the recipe as promised! Happy Baking- BOO!
My Favorite Sugar Cookies
- 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (or 2 tsp fresh lemon juice and zest of 2 lemons)
- Royal Icing
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Gradually mix in flour mixture. Turn out dough, and divide in half. Flatten each half into a disk, and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds of oven. Let one disk of dough stand at room temperature just until soft enough to roll, about 10 minutes. Roll out dough on a lightly floured work surface to just under 1/4-inch thick, adding more flour as needed to keep dough from sticking. Chill in refrigerator until firm, about 30 minutes. Cut out cookies using desired cutters or templates. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheets as you work. Roll out scraps, and repeat once. Repeat with remaining disk of dough. Chill cookies in freezer until very firm, about 15 minutes.
- Bake cookies, switching positions of sheets and rotating halfway through, until edges turn golden, 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks. Decorate with Royal Icing.
Cookies can be stored at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Makes about 2 dozen 4-inch cookies
Pictures of my Halloween cookies are soon to come! <3